Wednesday 1 January 2014

To Dust Returnest.....

Duncston clearly remembers what she said the last time he saw her. It's been almost 10 years now and the words still poke him quite often. It sounded so worse when she said it, didn't it? But now as he looks back, he thanks her for saying it to him.
He was barely able to stand properly when she said those words to him. He felt as if his life has come to a halt and he has no clue about anything thereafter. He looked at her and couldn't believe that she actually said it. I was standing beside him and her and I was shocked too. I saw him wait for that very day so anxiously, so that he will finally have the guts to go up to her before he leaves the city. He dressed in the nicest way possible and hesitated so much while asking me, "Do I look good enough for her". I was busy reading the 2nd last page of the newspaper. I barely had a look at him and I told him that he looks perfect. I had to dress up quickly. I had no idea why I was asked to join in. But I didn't mind because I was sure of some entertaining drama that might happen.
But I did not expect her to say that to him. I have known Duncston for almost my entire life now. I have known every minute detail in his life. Why would SHE say something like that? I looked at him. I never saw that look before. I couldn't help to comfort him because I never thought it will ever be necessary to comfort Duncston. 
Just as she was about to go, Duncston pulled her back and told her the one thing that I clearly remember. He said "Beautiful".
I hated him for saying it to her. I thought he was being fanciful and outrageously impractical. But today I know why he said that to her. He was being honest and he was being thankfull. 
Today he shall meet her again. Today he plans to tell her that he still loves her. But I will stop him this time. Because I am still his conscience and he has grown old enough to prioritize me. I couldn't stop him that day. 
But today, I see him happy without a person. But I also see him look at her picture as if she was standing right in front of him. A problem she was, but was more of an inspiration. He took out the positive and I see him smile because he is doing what he always wanted to. 
They will meet again today. He wants to say it to her. But he won't. Because even though she is there, he knows she was never there holding his hands.

2 comments: